Last updated: August 9th 2016
When looking for an elliptical machine with a variety of features, one should consider the Proform 18.0 RE Elliptical unit. This machine, released in 2012, is colored in a sleek dark and light grey design. It measures 77 by 18 by 30 inches and weighs 235 pounds. It boasts multiple workout programs and several high-tech features that make it stand out among some of its competitors. This elliptical made it to our top picks for the Best Elliptical Machines of the year.
Listed below are some of the pros and cons of this unit.
- Machine has 24 unique workout applications. This allows users to have some choice as to what type of workout they might choose for any particular day.
- Unit features the Total-Body Toning Ramp, a perk that is meant to change the machine’s incline to lengthen or shorten a person’s stride.
- Proform 18.0 RE Elliptical is made of heavy duty steel.
- Elliptical machine features 22 different digital resistance levels, meant to challenge users and increase or decrease the maximum number of calories burned.
- Proform 18.0 features integrated heart monitors as well as a wireless chest pulse strap. These are meant to help users analyze and appropriately adjust their workouts based on their desired heart rates.
- Machine is compatible with Google Maps. Users can simply select a desired map, and the Proform 18.0 will construct a course based on the terrain and distance of the map chosen. This is an effective way users can exercise with this unit in order to train for running at a specific location.
- achine has a built-in feature in which the celebrity trainer, Jillian Michaels, coaches users through difficult workouts. Her voice will encourage and praise users based on their progress through specific courses..
- Using the iFit feature included in this elliptical machine, users can compare their progress with other people from all over the planet.
- Ramp can incline or decline using six different positions. The angle of the ramp has a range from 15 degrees all the way to 45 degrees.
- Unit is built to work users’ arms as well as their legs. The handles feature cushioned grips, meant to be comfortable for long, grueling workouts.
- Pedals are oversized to fit a variety of different foot sizes. Users should have no issues with slipping or foot position.
- Display module features two separate two-inch speakers. These can be hooked to an iPod or any other type of MP3 player so that users may enjoy listening to music while exercising.
- Display console is seven inches in diagonal. This oversized module makes it easy for users to view their workout statistics. The display is also backlit for users who keep their machine in darker environments.
- The console also features a CoolAire Workout Fan. The fan has two different speed settings and may be adjusted any time during the workout.
- Controls are integrated into the handles so that users may easily adjust the resistance level of their workout any time during their exercise period.
- Machine features transport wheels, allowing the unit to be moved from one room to another.
- There is a water bottle holder placed directly beneath the display module.
- The display features a “racetrack” display. Users can view their progress via the racetrack graphic.
- Proform 18.0 RE Elliptical features a lifetime frame warranty, a three-year parts warranty and a one-year labor warranty.
- The console displays different types of feedback such as calories burned, distance, elapsed time, heart rate, incline and resistance.
- The package that the unit comes shipped in is very heavy. Users will want to have another person with them to help move the unit.
- During assembly, users will have to apply different greases and lubrications.
- The belt on the machine can sometimes, in rare instances, be faulty. However, with a call to customer service, a replacement can easily be shipped to users.
- The unit can be somewhat noisy. Users have mentioned a “thumping” noise when exercising with this particular machine. However, this also seems to be a rare complaint.
- Some users have had issues with the incline and decline controls for the ramp. This can occur if the module is damaged. Proform will replace the module if it happens to be damaged.
- The elliptical machine is only meant for users who weigh 325 pounds or fewer. Users who are heavier should possibly reconsider before purchasing this unit.
- Stride length can be somewhat difficult to adjust. It comes with an adjustable stride-length ranging from 20 to 23 inches. However, this may not be enough for particularly short or tall users.
- Some users have complained that the elliptical machine is not particularly smooth. They described the motion of the pedals as occasionally jerky or erratic.
- The machine does tend to list from side to side while users are exercising.
While there are a few minor issues that could be fixed or improved, for the most part, the Proform 18.0 RE Elliptical machine is one that users should consider when looking to add to their own personal gyms. The large display console, variety of resistance levels and programs, audio device input and warranties should be enough to convince potential buyers that this machine is a quality elliptical unit. Other elliptical machines like the Sole Fitness E35, the Precor EFX 5.23 Elliptical Fitness Crosstrainer, the Schwinn 460 Variable Stride Elliptical Trainer and the AFG 3.1 AE Elliptical may have more features than the Proform 18.0. However, each of those previously mentioned units cost more than the Proform 18.0. Overall, the Proform 18.0 RE Elliptical machine boasts a large quantity of features for a reasonable price.
Proform 18.0 RE Elliptical Video Review